Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 2009 19:27:02 +1100
From:      John Marshall <john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
To:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Newsgroups

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

The web site's /community/newsgroups.html page directs readers
specifically to two newsgroups:

  comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.announce
  comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

I subscribed to the announce group last week expecting to see the
FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE announcement flow through from the freebsd-announce@
mailing list.  It didn't.  Yesterday I saw a Moderator Vacancy
Investigation (MVI) post in those newsgroups.  The details in the post
showed that Jordan Hubbard (jkh@) is registered as the group's
moderator; and that a probe post to the moderator address
(jkh@<somewhere.else>) had bounced.

I guess this means that, failing any interest from present-day FreeBSD
folks, these FreeBSD newsgroups are likely to be removed.  If the
newsgroups disappear, reference to them will need to be removed from the
web site and Handbook.

I wonder if the FreeBSD mailing list managers are interested in reviving
a mail-to-news gateway, for the announce list at least?

I thought this was as good a place as any to mention this.  Hope I'm not
too far out of order.

--=20
John Marshall

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/