Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 23:22:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chris@calldei.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDI giving out old info?

> > The COM and DCOM books describe it in sufficient detail that it can
> > be implemented.  The one caveat is that EGCS vtable support sucks.
>
> Another caveat is that ActiveX is a giant can of bugs waiting to be released.
> Do we really WANT to advertise support for ActiveX?  I thought not.

Actually, there are a large number of ActiveX modules that run on
both Windows platforms and x86 Solaris.  The IE version for x86
Solaris depends upon it.

> > These are supported via the WIDE/INRIA/LANL code, though the WIDE stuff
> > appears more mature.  FreeBSD is not, however, shipping it.
>
> 3rd party?

Installation's a bitch... unless you have 2.2.8.

> You seem to assume other vendors have *working* SNMP implementations also.
> I can testify from first-hand experience that this is only sort of true.
> Working == works great if you use OUR management application to manage
> OUR switches/servers/hosts.

I'm saying that if you're going to correct them in public, then you need
to meet some definition of "works".

> > >    I wonder why they put N/A, then.
> >
> > FreeBSD is not shipping it, and it is not a package.
>
> 3rd party then, right?

Same versioning problems as the VPN (IPSEC) stuff: ot for -current, not
for 3.2-RELEASE.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---