Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:33:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/12578: `` subshell taints PWD

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Oliver Fromme wrote:

>  > But isn't that exactly what's happening here, where PWD is being tainted
>  > by the commands evaluated within the substitution?
>
> Yes, I'd call that a bug which should be fixed.
> The manpage clearly says:
>
>     "The shell expands the command substitution by executing
>     command in a subshell environment and replacing the command
>     substitution with the standard output of the command [...]"
>
> Alternatively, the manpage could be "fixed".  ;-)

	The correct way to fix the problem is to bring our sh in line with
posix in this respect. Someone more familiar with the spec than I could
tell you for sure, however I can say with relative security that subshell
processes should not taint parent shell variables.

Exercising my firm grasp of the obvious,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter