Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:34:45 -0800
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sockets and changing IP addresses

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 01:16 PM, Wes Peters wrote:

> Archie Cobbs wrote:
>>
>> I'm curious what -net's opinion is on PR kern/38544:
>>
>>     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/38554
>>
>> In summary: if you have a connected socket whose local IP address
>> is X, and then change the interface IP address from X to Y, then
>> packets written out by the socket will continue to be transmitted
>> with source IP address X.
>>
>> Do people agree that this is a bug and should be fixed?
>
> Yes.  The other end can't possibly reply to address X, so the connection
> is broken at this point.
>
>> Do people agree that my suggestion of returning ENETDOWN is reasonable?
>
> Wow.  There are other possibilities, EADDRNOTAVAIL or ECONNABORTED.
> It doesn't matter so long as it the errno is unique to this situation
> across all syscalls that might encounter it; ENETDOWN seems to meet
> this criteria.

A thought: An attempt to reconnect will succeed, given the scenario
above, and ENETDOWN implies that the network is unavailable, so I don't
think this is a good response.  ECONNABORTED might be better (and
EADDRNOTAVAIL isn't really germane).

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |   If you're not confused,