Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:46:14 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Don Sutter" <drs@suntreeaz.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Transferring users

"Don Sutter" writes:

> But I'm mostly concerned with my users.  Obviously, /home
> needs to be transferred but I don't want to re-enter all of
> my users and their passwords and home directory pointers all
> over again.  I like adduser and vipw but not over and over
> again.  The passwd file will be transferred over from the
> old system but what about the passwords?

Reading "man 8 pwd_mkdb" suggests all you have to do is save
/etc/master.passwd from the other system then use
"pwd_mkdb /saved/master.passwd" to overwrite the existing password
database files.

Another way to pull it off would be to use vipw on the old system to
write a copy to another file (after all vipw is running your $EDITOR
environment variable choice). Then on the new system remove any entries
you don't like on the new installation with vipw and while you are at it
merge what you saved (:r in vi) from the other and do your final
touchup. Only have to do this once for all the accounts, not once per
account.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net