Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 12:27:44 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Policy on image source files in the CVS tree

--s2ZSL+KKDSLx8OML

Folks,

I'm rethinking the policy on image source files in the doc/ tree.

Up till now, I've said that only PNG or EPS images should be allowed in
the doc/ tree, and that it's up to doc builders to have the necessary
tools installed (eps2png, basically) to convert between them as
necessary.

I think that might be bit too restrictive, and I'd like to loosen it up
a little bit.

Specifically, some of the images that we are going to be using will not
have a source format of EPS or PNG.  They might be Xfig diagrams, for
example, or video screen dumps with the new scrshot stuff we've been
talking about over the past few days.

I think it's reasonable to allow these in the repository as well.

However, I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone else to need
to install the tools to do the conversion in order to build the docs.

So, I'd like the policy to be;

  If you use third party tools to generate images then you can commit
  the source file (e.g., figure1.xfig) to the repository.  However, you
  must *also* commit the same image as either EPS or PNG (e.g.,
  figure1.eps) so that other people can build the documentation with the
  minimum installed toolchain.

Thoughts?

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--s2ZSL+KKDSLx8OML

--s2ZSL+KKDSLx8OML--