Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 18:26:22 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        phk@dk.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, phk@dk.tfs.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DMI anyone ?

Poul-Henning Kamp stands accused of saying:

> >See the earlier thread on SMBIOS/DMI, and Phoenix's tech stuff page
> >for the SMBIOS spec.
> >
> >Bottom line : we need a means for making 16-bit BIOS calls (16-bit
> >protected mode interface is part of the spec)...
>
> I was in that thread.  This was more a question along the line of
>
> "would DMI/SMBIOS support (whatever it means) buy us anything ?"

Oops, so you were.  Apologies.

IMHO, yes.  If nothing else, it'd be a checkmark feature, but I think
that there are a number of useful things that DMI could offer.

On systems that support it, the extra information at the hardware level
might be handy, but IMHO it's the higher-level management functions that
would make it a winner; to be able to drop a BSD box into someone`s
DMI schema and have it behave would be useful.

Having said that, it's worth studying the recent history of DMI; a lot
of people seem very lukewarm on it.