Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2013 01:28:27 +0100
From:      Andy Zammy <andyzammy@googlemail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: failed to create gmirror with the handbook instructions

I tried creating the mirror before the install. As the drives are now
mirrored, the installer picked up on the face that there are two gm0 nodes
- one on each hard drive. I installed onto ada0's gm0 node.

After it reboots, the bootloader stops at the manual prompt. From what I
can see that's not dissapeared up the screen, it tried and failed to mount
from mirror/gm0s1a with error 19. I had to mount from ada0s1a in order for
the boot to get further, but as it's been installed to boot from gm0s1x, it
stops after it mounts /.

After having checked my partition setup many times at this point, I know
for a fact there's a rather large 500MB section free at the end of my hard
drives with this partition set up. Is there any reason I can't just install
as normal, do a 'gmirror label gm0 ada0', and then do a 'gmirror insert gm0
ada1', before changing my fstab to use mirror/gm0? I can't see why dumping
and restoring is necessary, it's just manually doing what gmirror is there
for in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong :)