Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 1995 15:26:43 -0500
From:      Richard J Kuhns <rjk@watson.grauel.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   An answer, a question, and an offer...

First, a problem and solution with the 2.0.5 ==> 2.1 upgrade: after you've
done the upgrade, the GENERIC kernel won't compile due to problems with the
matcd driver.  This is due to the fact that the 2.0.5 driver #included the
file `i386/isa/matcd/matcd.h', which is no longer used by the 2.1 driver
but is still there since the upgrade process just writes over existing
files; it seems that config causes it to be #included if it exists.  Either
move it out of the way or remove it, and re-run config.

Now, a request.  Is there any strong reason not to include terminfo support
in libmytinfo.*?  I'm working on an enhanced print (among other things)
spooler based on MDQS (Multi Device Spooling System) that includes some of
the capabilities of the SVR4 lp spooler, and the printer support (which I'd
like to run under SVR4 as well) depends on terminfo support (to be able to
change things like lines/inch and chars/inch for a given printer).  I've
found that it works perfectly under FreeBSD 2.0.5 && 2.1-RELEASE, as long
as I change the #undef TERMINFO to #define TERMINFO in libmytinfo's
config.h file and re-compile/-install and copy the appropriate terminfo
files.  Not that this is a major problem, but it's extra work to do with
every system I install and I don't see any reason it couldn't be the
default -- termcap support is still there and works just fine.  It's very
handy to be able to type something like "pr source.c | lp-emu -o cpi=12",
and have it print in elite.

If anyone else is interested in testing or criticizing it, drop me a note.
It should be ready for some beta testing RSN...

Finally, an offer.  Being able to smoothly upgrade a system is fairly
important to me and a couple of companies I do consulting for.  Jordan, I
have a machine available (486 DX2/66, 8M RAM, 512M SCSI) that I could
install/upgrade as often as necessary, and I'd like to help, both in
testing and possibly in coding (will I have to re-learn FORTH?).  Let me
know...
--
Rich Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249