Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 2009 04:40:14 -0600
From:      Erich Jenkins <erich@fuujingroup.com>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   SunFire v1280

All:

I'm running into an interesting problem with a SunFire v1280 mid-range
server. The system is running (12) UltraSPARC III procs @ 1.2GHz with
24GB of RAM and SCSI3 spindles (no RAID). The SC and system boards are
running the most recent firmware, as you can see in the message below.

After trying several releases (6.3, 6.4, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2), I'm running
into this message below. I've tried booting from the CD-ROM and from
tftp/dhcp/nfs with the same results.

<snip>
Sun Fire V1280
OpenFirmware version 5.20.13 (06/04/09 02:43)
Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
SmartFirmware, Copyright (C) 1996-2001.  All rights reserved.
24576 MB memory installed, Serial #55083219.
Ethernet address 0:3:ba:48:80:d3, Host ID: 834880d3.

Rebooting with command: boot cdrom
TL = 1, TT = 10. ERROR: Illegal Instruction
TSTATE= 0x1400 [ccr = 0x0, asi = 0x0, pstate = 0x14, cwp = 0x0]
TPC= 0000000000004004
TNPC= 0000000000004008
TICK= 8000000845e5cbd8, TICKCMP = 8000000000000000

debugger entered.
</snip>

First, I suspected something wrong with the CD-ROM drive in the machine,
so I replaced it. No luck, same problem. I'm a FreeBSD evangelist my
self, but one of my colleagues is an OpenBSD fan, so I gave that a shot
considering the similarities. OpenBSD installed with no issues
whatsoever. I've looked at the platform information on the FreeBSD site,
and I found no mention of the v1280 systems, but a note to try it out
and see if it works. As far as I can tell, it currently doesn't.

The primary focus was to utilize FreeBSD jails on this box. We're
running FreeBSD with jails on several HP DL585 boxes with great results,
and since sysjails is defunct and vulnerable, it's not an option on OpenBSD.

I've heard mention of RAM related issues with SunFire machines, i.e.,
there is often too much present for the installer to handle. Is this
correct to anyone's knowledge??

Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

--
Erich M. Jenkins
Fuujin Group Limited

Visit us on the web at http://www.fuujingroup.com

"You should never, never doubt what no one is sure about."
-- Gene Wilder