Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 01:33:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      herlan <herlan_b@infofreebsd.org>
To:        Stephen Hurd <deuce@lordlegacy.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: can't posting in  freebsd-*

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Stephen Hurd wrote:

> Quite possibly, your mail server doesn't have a valid reverse lookup record.
> If this is the case, you'll have the same problem I did originally - You can
> read, but not post... you whould get a message in 24 hours or so saying
> something like: Mail Undeliverable and containing lines that look like:

> <<< 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
> <questions@freebsd.org>... Deferred: 450 Client host rejected: cannot find
> your hostname, [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

i did't recieve any error and i can send to mailto:Majordomo@FreeBSD.ORG
and ricieve a welcome email from each mailing list

and if i try nslookup from my server:

bash-2.04$ nslookup infofreebsd.org
Server:  reslv2a.chi.telocity.net
Address:  216.227.0.36

Name:    infofreebsd.org
Address:  64.193.145.21

and i use my own mail server with qmail

> There's only three solutions to this:
> 1) Get on your ISPs back... annoy the hell out of them until they fix it.
> 2) Switch ISPs to one that DOES have a reverse-lookup for their mail server
>
> OR (And this is the trickiest option)
>
> 3) If they have a valid reverse lookup for their users, but none for the
> mail server (Don't laugh, I've seen this) set up your own SMTP server using
> sendmail, and send all your mail through it.  If your using the FreeBSD
> system as a NAT box or something, you'll have to allow it to relay from your
> local network... and ONLY your local network.  If you allow anyone else to
> relay, they will.

Best regards,

Herlan B

http://www.infofreebsd.org