Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:21:27 -0500
From:      Michel Adamus <madamus@connectalk.com>
To:        Borris Yeltsin <BorrisYeltsin@bun.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This is probably wasting you valuable time....

> I have 2
> computers one an AMD 266 Voodoo 3 high-spec machine the other an Intel
> P100, 8Meg RAM, 800 MB HD with no CD drive. I was wondering if you
> could help me with a problem I am having.
> First can I run FreeBSD and the attached X Window system?

Yes, slow but yes you can.

> If no then don't read on.
> I have transferred the installation files to the laptop via a parallel
> cable to the laptop HD and created a boot disk.

how about taking the cd drive and puting it on the P100 for a day or two
:)

> The installation
> program ran but said I didn't have enough drive space (I have only
> 200MB free). What do you recommend?

Make the kerl.flp and the msfroot.flp disks. That is, only if you don't
know how to mount the CD or use DD (to make floppies). Take 15 minutes
and install your cd drive in the P100.  Boot with the floppies and 30
minutes later every thing will be installed.

> format and the making of a totally
> UNIX system, the clearing o disk space (is it worth it?)

If I get it right, you still have a dos partition on that 800MB disk?
And you use it to "help" you install FreeBSD. If so, remove it, it will
be much easier.

> or download
> the new version of FreeBSD.

If you have the a 2.x version, yes, but it will not help you install

--
- Throw me a bone here someone...