Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2018 12:10:26 +0200
From:      Julien Cigar <julien@perdition.city>
To:        Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@ze.tum.de>
Cc:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No Extended Support Version right now?

--IJAclU0AInkryoed

On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 09:29:47AM +0200, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
> Am 09.08.2018 um 08:50 schrieb Doug Hardie:
> >=20
> >> On 8 August 2018, at 22:30, Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@ze.tum.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> is there realy no version of FreeBSD with support longer than 3 Month
> >> right now.
> >>
> >> I'm running FreeBSD on quite a lot servers. I don't want to go through
> >> updating every x Month. So in the past I stick with the Extended Suppo=
rt
> >> Releases. But support for 10.3 ended 2 Month ago. 10.4 support will end
> >> in 3 Month.
> >>
> >> No Extended Support release for FreeBSD 11 has been announced yet.
> >> FreeBSD 11.1 support will end in 2 Month.
> >>
> >> Will 11.2 be an extended support Release or maybe 11.1
> >>
> >> This i not a good situation to sell FreeBSD as a professional
> >> alternative to Linux or Windows to my bosses.
> >>
> >=20
> > from https://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup
> >=20
> > The FreeBSD support model
> >=20
> > Effective FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE, the support model has been changed to a=
llow more rapid development while also providing timely security updates fo=
r all supported releases.
>=20
> That's marketing bullshit and you know it. I like rapid developments but
> don't forget the people who run longtime legacy systems.
>=20
> > Under the new support model, each major version's stable branch is expl=
icitly supported for 5 years, while each individual point release is only s=
upported for three months after the next point release.
>=20
> So everyone has a window of 3 month starting with a date somebody else
> chooses to update all his systems or running out of support. Sorry that
> is nothing larger installation can do. I'm running 200+ FreeBSD servers.
> Updating each of them to the next Major release takes about 2h (really
> stupid things like FreeBSD id changes in config files are time consuming
> and annoying). More than 3-4 Servers a day is not possible so a major
> upgrade takes at least 50 workdays with is 2 1/2 Month. Minor updates
> are not really better. Not that much files but quite as annoying.

+1.. We have 15 servers here at work and I have to admit that I
haven't found a reliable way (yet ?) to upgrade them easily at once.
For the jails (we have ~50 in total), it's just a matter of rm -rf
/usr/jails on each host and recreating them with Saltstack afterwards
(it takes some time but it's super easy), but for the hosts I'm still
upgrading them one by one ... and I'm not really happy with that.