Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:16:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        wes@softweyr.com, toasty@home.dragondata.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High Load cron patches - comments?

Matthew Dillon said:

> :
> :So this is why pmake drives our system load average up to 8-10 before
> :dropping back down to the assigned limit of 5, huh?  Maybe we should
> :fix the load average computations as John suggested.
> :
> :Wes Peters                                                 Softweyr LLC
> :http://www.softweyr.com/~softweyr                      wes@softweyr.com
>
>     There's nothing wrong with the load average computation, it's a 1, 5,
>     and 15 minute pseudo-average just as advertised.  What's wrong are the
>     programs that try to use it to regulate themselves.

Yep, I didn't really mean that the existing load average calculation be
modified, but develop a better scheme for providing load regulation info
to processes.  To me, load average is mostly informational, and long
term trend data.  Lots of things can happen within the load average
attack interval.

I can develop some rather complete and lossless calculations that
provide accurate and useful load indicators.  In fact, I think that
a generic load mgmt scheme might be useful.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid