Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 16:30:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Basket Case <11jmitch@gallux.gallaudet.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with latest 2.1.0 w/ NE2000 card

On Sun, 24 Sep 1995, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Sep 1995, Basket Case wrote:

> > > 	that is a point to point link using slip.  you need to spec both
> > > the local address and remote address.   i use:
> > >
> > > 	ifconfig sl0 inet 198.138.38.205 198.138.38.21 netmask 255.255.255.0
> > >
> > > 	change the numbers to fit your situation.
> > >

> > I'm not using slip, but i am on an ethernet connection.  For some reason
> > it is using sl0 (i have no idea why) and I would input the numbers manually
> > but unfortunately, I cannot do that as I am using the boot disk and am trying
> > to install the latest release via FTP.  Is there a way I can go into the boot
> > disk and make modifications (as I dont have any other unix machines nearby)
> > and the boot disk doesnt have utilities such as ls, cat, etc...
>
> you may/must have selected slip as the interface to use.   does the boot
> disketter see and initialize your network card?  reboot, type '-c' at the
> 'boot:' prompt.  at he 'config>' prompt type 'ls'.  compare the setting
> for ed0 with your card's configuration.   change as necessary.  (type
> 'help' at the 'config>' prompt)  the type 'quit' at the 'config>' prompt.
>
> watch the boot messages for mention of ed0.  it must be recognized and
> initialized during the boot process.
>
> when you get to the 'media' part of the install process.  check that ed0
> is an option, if not the card has not been initialized and is not available.
>
> > Ifconfig should be setup as "ed0" i believe, but is there any way that this
> > can be changed or fixed?
>
> 	yes.  boot withe the '-c' as explained above.  type 'help' at the
> 'config>' prompt.  read about 'irq', 'port', 'iomem'.

I've looked through the configuration and everything seems to be setup
correctly.  As I said earlier, it works fine with the 950726 version of the
2.1.0 SNAP copy, but not the 950922 copy.  During the bootup I get the
following message...

	ed1: at 0x300-0x31f  irq5 on isa
	ed1: address 00:00:e8:c8:f9:ef, type ne2000 (16 bit)

and when the setup screen comes in, and I do a custom installation -- the
f2 (debug screen) shows:

	DEBUG: found a device of tpe network named ed1
	DEBUG: found a device of type network named lp0

and when setting up everything (partitioning, etc) and choosing the ftp
site, and doing "commit", i get the following in screen f2

	ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Destination address required
	DEBUG: Command 'ifconfig sl0 inet 134.231.56.107 netmask
		255.255.0.0' returns status of 1

The thing is I'm not even using sl0 (slip), but rather, an ethernet
connection.  I see the network has already been detected (ed1) but apparently
something gets switched in the setup process...

Thanks!
Jon