Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 1999 22:19:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Alpha <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FAQ and power for PC164SX

Anyone know the location of any kind of readme, even if it's got loads
of spelling errors and bad BO, regarding Alpha installations?

Anyhow, I have a PC164SX board.  I'd heard that the PC164* boards needed
to have a kludged ATX power supply, because the interface offered from
the board to the power supply had no ability to turn the power supply on
and off.  Well, now that I have one, and I've read the PC164SX trm, it
says on page 2-13 that connector J1 is for Soft Power, and pin 1, INPUT,
is identified by the string "System Power On/Off".  That seems
suspiciously like just that I was told was missing from the power
supply.  Could someone please explain about the power situation?  I have
a 300 watt standard ATX PS, and I'm loathe to spend extra on a specially
kludged PS unless there's good reason.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |