Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:19:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   M_KERNEL in sys/malloc.h ???

    Does anyone know what M_KERNEL is sys/malloc.h is supposed to do?  It
    is used in precisely two places in the code as far as I can tell:

    vm/default_pager.c:     if (swap_pager_swp_alloc(object, M_KERNEL) != 0) {
    vm/default_pager.c:     if (swap_pager_swp_alloc(object, M_KERNEL) != 0) {
    vm/swap_pager.c:                spc->spc_bp = malloc(sizeof(*bp), M_TEMP, M_KERNEL);

    But kern/kern_malloc.c doesn't appear to really use it.  On the otherhand
    I do see lots of absolute comparison of the malloc 'flags' to M_WAITOK
    (0) or M_NOWAIT which the use of M_KERNEL would interfere with.  I can't
    tell if the side effects are something that are expected, or if the
    side effects are a bug.

    Anybody know?

						-Matt