Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:32:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Basic shared library question

Hello, folks,

I run into a problem from time to time.  While I've always been able
to scrounge a solution, I'm sure there's a generic, "proper" answer.

How can I find out what package/port a given library is part of?

For example, sometimes when building software, I get an error like:

configure:5765: checking for libIDL-config
configure:5800: checking for libIDL - version >= 0.6.3
(end of "config.log")
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

The exact error isn't important.  (For anyone who cares, I'm building
Mozilla.)

Surely there's some way to properly identify what software package
this library belongs to?  Locate and grep have given me a good idea,
but there must be a proper, elegant, Unixly way to identify it?

Thanks,
==ml