Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 1996 11:44:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        mrm@Mole.ORG, phk@critter.tfs.com, ache@nagual.ru, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, terry@lambert.org, wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: I plan to change random() for -current (was Re: rand() and random())

> >Nobody has even thought about tinkering with rand48.
>
> Well, I have thought of checking if it is related to the old BSD
> rand48 :-).  rand48 isn't in BSD4.4Lite or BSDI.  FreeBSD has a
> contributed version.

I have the original usenet posting.  It is identical in function,
and was tested for compatability at boundry conditions.

I also have additions to the FORTRAN library for a lot of the missing
math functionality that I can dig out if necessary -- I'd need to
update my ftoc/f77 code though, so I'm reluctant.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.