Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:41:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        eculp <eculp@encontacto.net>
Cc:        "ports@freebsd.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Drowning in a KDE4 - xorg - nvidia glass of water after updating all over the weekend.

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, eculp wrote:

> I haven't had an X/kde problem in years and probably because of that I am
> stuck.  Problems are learning opportunities;)  To confirm that my las
> xorg.conf was done with xorgconfig and almost identical to my old XF86config
> files and all depreciated.
>
> When trying to start my brand new kde it stuck with Akonadi and the las line
> was that it was preparing to launch /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/kio_trash.so and
> it doesn't move from there.  I have to kill it with ^c.  I have a copy of the
> last run bye using startx 2>&1 | /tmp/TestLog.log and am attaching the file.
>
> As I mentioned my xorg.conf didn't work so I created a new on with Xorg
> -configure and then ran the nvidia-config and used the result also attached.

(No attachments; the list software sometimes removes them.  Also, x11
configuration questions are probably best sent to the freebsd-x11 list.)

First, rename or delete your xorg.conf and try startx again.  If it'll
autoconfig correctly for your hardware, problem solved.

If not, or if you want an xorg.conf, a current sample for an ancient
GeForce2 follows.  It assumes you have dbus and hal running, and you may
need to change the BusID value to match your system.

Section "ServerLayout"
 	Identifier  "Xorg"
 	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
 	Option      "DontZap" "Off"
EndSection

Section "Files"
 	ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
 	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
 	Group 0
 	Mode  0660