Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 23:43:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> >	--- NO SCRIPT EDITING !!! ----

> We are not talking about script editing. We are talking about adding
> a line to a control file, versus adding a line to a directory.

That *is* script editing.

> If you want SysV, use Linux.

I want the best system I can. I don't care if you call it System V or
BSD or Linux or NT. Just give me as solid and clean an underpinning for
the system (and the UNIX model is the best of that I know), and the
best tools on top of that.

> If you want FreeBSD to get some new
> flexibility (based upon concepts from anywhere else) - GREAT.

> But don't say "SysV is doing it so we should"!

NOBODY is saying that. What they're saying is "it's working in System
V, so don't just dismiss it". There's lots of stuff in System V that
doesn't work (lp, for example :-P), and we can learn from that too.

But if you want something that's *really* a hybrid, see the message I
sent to Terry...