Date:      Fri, 02 Aug 1996 16:27:07 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Automatic ports Makefile generator?

Hi

I hit DELETE too quickly, so I've lost the message to REPLY to.

Jordan, you mentioned a "proof-of-concept"? I have had an idea for a while
that may help newbies. It is a automatic version of the way I make ports.

\begin{dream}

grumble $ tar xzf hello-1.3.tar.gz
grumble $ cd hello-1.3
grumble $ <hack/slash/debug/etc...>
grumble $ cd ..
grumble $ makeport
Makeport - 0.1-ALPHA
what is the name of your port? hello-1.3
directory hello-1.3 found OK
file hello-1.3.tar.gz found OK
untarrring hello-1.3.tar.gz............OK
creating diff.....OK
removing original sources.

Q&A Time!

Does your port need GNU make? n
Does your port need imake? n
Does your port have its own "configure" script? y
What is it called? (hit ENTER) for "configure"
Does the configure script need any command line arguments? y
What are they? --foo --bar
does your port depend on any other software? y
what is its package name? foo-1.0
ERROR foo-1.0 not found!
does your port depend on any other software? n
etc...

OK - generating Makefile
OK - making directories
OK - making checksum
OK - done!

Please test this port, and if all seems ok, submit it! As this is
ALPHA softtware, you are well advised not to trust it, and read the
generated files!

\end{dream}

I could come up with a proof of concept in a few days, if anyone
is interested.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key