Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:26:40 +0200
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: moving FreeBSD installation disk1 to an USB stick

El día Thursday, June 19, 2008 a las 11:14:32AM +0200, Ed Schouten escribió:

> You could consider installing FreeBSD by hand. Just make sure you
> get a bootable FreeBSD system on that USB stick and do this:
>
> 	bsdlabel -w -B /dev/ad0 # assuming ad0 is the eeepc flash
> 	# just do bsdlabel -e /dev/ad0 if you want to add multiple slices
> 	for i in a d e f g ... # any partitions you have
> 	do
> 		newfs -U -O 2 /dev/ad0$i
> 	done
>
> 	# mount all your partitions in /new
> 	mkdir /new
> 	mount /dev/ad0a /new
> 	mkdir /new/var
> 	mount /dev/ad0d /var
>
> 	# make sure you have the `base' and `kernels' directories on
> 	# your USB stick and do this:
> 	cd /X.Y-RELEASE/base
> 	DESTDIR=/new sh install.sh
> 	cd ../kernels
> 	DESTDIR=/new sh install.sh generic
> 	mv /boot/GENERIC/* /boot/kernel/
>
> 	# create a /etc/fstab file
> 	vi /etc/fstab
>
> Good luck!

Thanks, Ed, for this hint; this is also more or less how the recipe is
to make that boot-able USB stick; I've just played around with
/usr/sbin/sysinstall and realised (what I've never used before) that you
can choose as installation source also any point in the file system; so
if I put /packages from disk1 to the USB stick as well I could perhaps
mount it after booting it and run /usr/sbin/sysinstall and point it to
that directory. Will let you know once the beast arrives here.

Thx

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz