Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:10:31 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@hecubus.bsdonline.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   APM woes

I have a desktop machine with an Intel i810 chipset. It seems that APM
is buggy with this, because the kernel locks up while trying to
activate the apm device at boot time.

I have four questions:
1) Has anybody gotten APM working with this chipset?
2) Without APM, how can I spin down the hard drive after, say, two hours
of inactivity?
3) How can I make the machine shut itself down after I run `shutdown`?
Presently, it just tells me to turn off the machine. I would like the
powersupply to turn off automatically after a shutdown.
4) If I can't accomplish 3), I still have a problem. This ACPI power
button I have doesn't turn off the machine after I run `shutdown`, it
just resets it. After the POST runs again, I can then use the power
button as usual. Is there any way to fix the powerbutton?

Thanks.
--
Andrew Hesford - ajh3@chmod.ath.cx
"355/113 -- Not the famous irrational number PI,