Date:      Wed, 15 May 2013 09:01:24 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: List Spam Filtering

On May 14, 2013, at 10:18 PM, Da Rock =
<freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:

> I'm a big fan of _not_ having to subscribe to a list to get a quick =
hand with a one off problem (obviously not this one!)- otherwise too =
many lists get subscribed to, oodles of messages come in which you can't =
do anything about and so forth (so its not simply just a matter of =
subscribe, unsubscribe as noted). Unfortunately, many see it as a spam =
filter and thereby abuse it. How often do you need help with an issue =
with libreoffice, mozilla whatever, or other application? And yet =
subscription is compulsory and a ton of messages (devs convs mostly) =
come flooding in within minutes.

	Other lists I have been on had both a list and a forum that =
accessed the same content. While I see that FreeBSD has both, I do not =
think they share content. A forum gateway to the list would permit folks =
to sign up for the forum and NOT get a ton of email. If the forum were =
publicly readable that would also provide a way to look through (if not =
search) the archives.

	I am not trying to make work for people, just suggesting another =
way to address the competing issues of SPAM reduction and ease of =
access.

--
Paul Kraus
Deputy Technical Director, LoneStarCon 3