Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:39:49 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 4.0.1 problems

My problems concerning XFree86 have a focus on XDM/XDMCP and
chooser.

My environment:
Three systems, running FreeBSD 4.2, two of them running XFRee86 4.0.1_6 as
compiled from the ports collection, one machine running XFree 3.3.6 due the lack of
a supported graphics adaptor in 4.0.1.

Several diskless XTerminals, running FreeBSD 4.2 and XFree 4.0.1 as they boot this
from their boot server.

XFree86 4.0.1 ist compiled with the following options (maybe essential?) ON:

XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1, SecureRPC, PAM Support

The problem:

When starting the X server with '-indirect XDMCP-host' option to get a
chooser on the diskless X terminal, I can obtain from all three servers
the chooser menu. But on both XFRee 4.0.1 machines I can not connect
to any select host! It set up the same menu on the third, XFree 3.3.6
based server. And from this I can obtain a login an session from each host
I select. This seems to be a difference between Xfree 4 and XFree 3.
Curiois is: starting the X server on the diskless machine with
the option '-query host' I get a login, although the same host did
not respond when selecting it from the chooser.

What's going wrong? Well, I feel sure set up correctly the environment,
but XFree 4 assumes to be handled different from Xfree 3 when connecting
and requesting displays from hosts runnig also XFree 4.

How to check what's going on? How to figure out what the XDM host is refusing
when forwarding the display request? I'm sorry asking thia, but due the lack of
documentation (where are O'Reillys books about X?) I dare to ask here ...

Oliver

-
MfG
O. Hartmann