Date:      Wed, 08 Feb 1995 16:19:09 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers list), vak@cronyx.msk.su
Subject:   Re: Using seagate driver with Future Domain 950: :-(

> When connected to a Micropolis 1375 (140Mb) disk, I get the
> following during boot / device probe:
>
> - card is recognised OK (BIOS on card is enabled BTW)
>
> something like: invalid phase CMD out (gets out of view very fast)
> 	<inquiry values of the disk, but the values are wrong>

Well, at least now we can finally say that somebody tested it! :-)

It's an unfortunate fact that a lot of stuff gets put into the tree
(and sometimes it's by me!) on a hope-for-the-best basis.  You haven't
got any of the funky hardware that somebody has just send you a driver
for, and nobody else you know does either, yet you've had a lot of
requests for the thing and so you figure a halfway working something
is better than nothing and into the tree goes.  And then maybe even
you hear it worked and everybody is happy and your gamble paid off.
Hurrah!  The day is saved.  But that's only the beginning.  Then you
get an UPDATE to this driver and you think "Great, still don't have
this hardware to test with but the author says it's better,
so... *sigh*" Except maybe this time things break, and yet you still
don't know who out there actually HAS one of these things, and so it's
untested and doesn't get found out until 2 days before your release is
due to ship!  :-)

Clearly, things can't work this way (or fail to) forever.  Help!
FreeBSD needs an *accountant*! ;-)

					Jordan