Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 00:18:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

> > > "Perfectly Random" doesn't exist.
> >
> > Prove it.  I say it does. :) :) :)
>
> It's the simpler explanation.

Simpler != correct.

> Prove that it does, or provide some
> empirical evidence which contradicts the hypothesis... 8-).

Human behavior.  Why do I fall in love with who I fall in love with?
Why do some children raised in the exact same circumstances turn out
totally different?  Why do twins with the *exact* same DNA look and act
different?

> > > Mostly because not only time and
> > > energy is quantized, but because space is quantized, as well.
> >
> > Actually, space is not as far as we can tell.  Space is infinite, and
> > therefore cannot be quantized completely.  (Something that is infinite
> > cannot be modeled except by an infinite model.)
>
> A grid etched on a plain can have a defined grid unit size without
> the plane having to be finite.

Yes, but you've only described a subset, not the entire thing.

> Although the best evidence we have
> suggests that space is finite (and that we live in a closed universe).

Let's see some facts to back up this assertion.

> > With the same token energy maybe infinite as well....
>
> Again, the best evidence is that we live in a closed universe.

Your evidence comes from different sources than mine.

[ I assert that Artificial intelligence can't be created ]

> > And, there are alot of *really* smart people who agree with me.
>
> And a lot of them who disagree with you.  Appeal to authority isn't
> a valid form of proof.  8-).

True, but I don't have the purden of proof, you do.  I assert that it
can't be done, so you must therefore prove to me that it can.  All of
the emperical evidence up till now supports my claim. :)

Nate