Date:      Sun, 07 Mar 2004 09:12:44 -0800
From:      Bruce Korb <bkorb@veritas.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Bruce Korb <bkorb@gnu.org>
Subject:   Re: devel/autogen  BROKEN on amd64: Build fails

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Hmm, it's building on another retry, but the logs show it's failed
> half a dozen times with the same error over the past few months.  It
> looks like some kind of race condition in the code :-(

Possible, if the doc build and library builds go on in parallel.
For the interested, here is what is going on at the failure:

The autogen.texi file is being rebuilt.  Among the various things
being put into the doc is an example of a purely generated program
that builds a command line option parser for a shell script.  In
order to function, it must generate, compile, link and execute
this program.  The instructions to do that are in shell script
embedded in the documentation template, "doc/auto_gen.tpl".
If this can be repeated again, I would try to diagnose the problem
by saving (instead of discarding) all the output from the compile:

@example
[= `

opts="-o genshellopt -DTEST_GETDEFS_OPTS -g -I${OPTDIR}"

( cat ${top_srcdir}/getdefs/opts.def
  echo "test_main = 'putShellParse';"
) | (
  cd ${tempdir}
  HOME='' ${AGEXE} -t40 -L${OPTDIR} -bgenshellopt -- -

  ${CC} ${opts} genshellopt.c ${libs}
) > /dev/null 2>&1

if [ ! -x ${tempdir}/genshellopt ]
then
  echo "NO GENSHELLOPT PROGRAM" >&2
  kill -TERM $AG_pid
  exit 1
fi

${tempdir}/genshellopt --help | \

echo
echo
${tempdir}/genshellopt -o ${tempdir}/genshellopt.sh || kill -HUP $AG_pid
sed 's,\t,        ,g;s,\\([@{}]\\),@\\1,g' ${tempdir}/genshellopt.sh

` =]
@end example