Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 02:30:00 -0400
From:      Brian Clark <brianj@ais.ais-gwd.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Games] Quake2

Hello good fellows:

I happen to be one of those rabid Quake players that you hear about from
time to time. <g>
I see that: <http://www.freebsd.org/ports/games.html>; has a listing for
quakeserver-1.0 and I just thought I'd ask:

This looks like it's mainly for Quake 1 (older version of ID's popular
game). Has anyone here happened to set up a Quake *2* server under FreeBSD?
I know that this can be done with Linux, but I have no Linux Quake Server
Guru to talk about it with, and I'd probably not know where to start (If i
wanted to do it the right way). <g>

My main reason for posting is that I'd assume this would be very different
with Unix *BSD systems than, say, the typical RedHat/Debian/Slackware
messes that can be made into a decent, but often painfully brittle, Quake
server. (or, I could be complete wrong about that). I'd also imagine that
FreeBSD would make one fast and solid game host.

SooOOOOooo..

Has anyone done this? If so, did you take notes? :-)
Any URLs? (I can't find any).

Thanks -

b.

P.S. If it has been done, would anyone like to recommend any specific
hardware configs?

---
Brian Clark + Web Developer
f u s i o n w e r k s . n e w . m e d i a
tel: (864)227-0750 | fax: (864)942-7249
mail: mailto:brianj@fusionwerks.com
web: <http://www.fusionwerks.com/>;
pgp: finger -l for public key(s)