Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 12:35:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Lowe <dlowe@sirius.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   permissions on NFS mounted homedir

People -

On a recently built FreeBSD 2.2.2 machine, I'm getting a very strange
error from login shells for all users:

csh: Permission denied
csh: Trying to start from "/Users/dlowe"

This seems to happen regardless of which shell they are using. This
started happening when we cut the home directories over to an NFS mounted
disk.  I dug through some shell source code, and found the relevant
section of code.  It looks like the shell is getting an error from the
getwd() call.  But why?

Home is /Users/dlowe -
# grep ^dlowe /etc/passwd
dlowe:*:12028:10:David Lowe:/Users/dlowe:/bin/csh

I have r-x access to the directory, and each interim directory -
# ls -ald /
drwxr-xr-x  16 root  wheel  512 Sep 18 12:14 /
# ls -ald /Users
drwxr-xr-x  105 root  daemon  2048 Aug 29 15:16 /Users
# ls -ald /Users/dlowe
drwxr-xr-x  11 dlowe  staff  1024 Sep 22 12:22 /Users/dlowe

And the mount has no strangeness -
# mount
/dev/sd0a on / (NFS exported, local)
/dev/sd0s1f on /usr (asynchronous, local, noatime)
/dev/sd0s1e on /var (local)
procfs on /proc (local)
vega:/usr/home on /Users
vega:/usr/next on /private
vega:/usr/spool on /usr/spool

Has anyone seen this particular error and diagnosed it?  This seems very
very odd to me.

Thanks in advance,

					David Lowe