Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 07:03:29 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        garyj@jennejohn.org, Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE on DSL Clients

No, DNS is enabled in the ppp.conf... yes, the Win2K boxes can be left to
find their way or "automatically" but that doesn't change anything....
another BSD ckient cannot find resolv addresses either...

If I place any IP addresds in each of the clients, they work fine... the
clients are just not seeing the route in the gateway....

At 12:41 PM 11.24.2001 +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>On Saturday 24 November 2001 11:59, Annelise Anderson wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 jacks@sage-american.com wrote:
>> > Well.... finally got PPPoE on DSL working just fine on a
>> > FreeBSD server. Only one problem left to solve and hope for
>> > a little more help.
>> >
>> > The BSD server/gateway (dynamic IP) can ping out and
>> > resolves addresses without any problem, BUT, none of the
>> > client workstations can find anything on the Internet. So,
>> > no browsing, email, ftp, etc. All stations can ping each
>> > other.
>> >
>> > The clients can reach the Internet address (get email, FTP,
>> > browse, etc) IF, it is put into the "etc/hosts" file,
>> > whether it is Win2K or other BSD boxes.... each client
>> > points to the default 192.168.0.1 INTERNAL IP assigned to
>> > the gateway box running the DSL. The resolv.conf file for
>> > the DSL box has the proper nameservers for the ISP. DNS is
>> > enabled in ppp.conf. NAT and gateway is enabled in rc.conf.
>>
>> I think you nameserver has to be in resolv.conf (or the
>> comparable Windows setup) on each client.
>>
>> 	Annelise
>
>I recently set up something similar for a friend. He also has
>some windoze boxes on his network.
>
>It was not necessary to do anything special on the windoze
>machines. I did however put ``enable dns'' in ppp.conf so that
>ppp automatically puts the nameservers into /etc/resolv.conf on
>the FBSD router.
>
>Maybe this line is missing.
>
>--
>Gary Jennejohn garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org