Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:06:16 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1048961176.44a345@mired.org>
To:        "Tamir Halperin" <tamir@brobus.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: OpenSSL obstacle to PostgreSQL Installation

In <985DF46E87E0C047A3670048DBCAD0556BAA@andrew.brobus.net>, Tamir Halperin <tamir@brobus.net> typed:
> Thanks for responding to my request, Mike.
>
> I'll privately provide you an update offlist and please feel free to repond to me via the list for the benefit of others.

This is a really bad idea - others on the list may have answers I
don't. Also, someone later may have this problem, and be looking for
the answer in the archives. I've taken this back to the list.

> TH> I'm sure there's a solution to using postgresql 7.3.2 with openssl. I just don't have it.

There is. Mine is built using libcrypt with no problems. Though it
uses the old version of libcrypt for some reason.

> so you're basically caught up to date. The other approach I tried to take is to simply upgrade the entire system. I've never done this before and wading through all the documentation I'm told to go to is driving me insane. I simply don't even understand the terminology or concepts involved in the instructions for upgrading. I tried following whichever instructions I sort of understand in /usr/src/UPDATING but I'm not having much luck. I'm at the step where I'm supposed to execute 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE' but I have no idea what to put instead of 'YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'.

If you've updated the ports tree without updating the system, updating
the system may be what you need to do. However, you shouldn't be
running into that error unless you are running a version of postgresql
late enough to use the old libcrypt. Let's not go down the road of
updating everything until we've exhausted some other options.

What version of freebsd are you running this on. Also, is there
anything strange in your /etc/make.conf? It should be short enough to
post the entire thing here.

> You officially have my plea!

And you have mine - please hit carriage return every now and then!
You're in danger of creating lines longer than the SMTP spec allows!

	<mike