Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 17:30:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Holden <markh@HEMPAC.Net>
To:        Al.Johnson@AJC.State.Net (Al Johnson)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP LaserJet 6L

>needed for this printer.  I have successfully printed plain text on the
>HP from the directly connected system sort of.  An lptest > /dev/lpt0
>gets me a sheet of paper with a single line printed on it.  Obvisouly not
>what it's supposed to generate.  Anyone with a filter or an adequate printcap
>definition for this (or just about any PCL) printer I would really appreciate
>an email copy.
>
>In addition, is there any special setup required to get the appropriate
>conversion from a Win95 print job to the printer via Samba?

It's not so much that you need a printcap entry, as that you need a filter
that converts LF to CR+LF.  I've done stuff like this in the past, but it's
been a long time since I neded to make a non Postscript HP work with a UNIX
box.  It might be possible to do with stty settings in printcap, but I never
had any luck doing that.

Given that this has to be one of the most common problems when hooking a
printer up to most UNIXes, I'm kinda surprised they're not a standard fix
for it with an example in /etc/printcap.

Or have I been painfully stupid about this for the last 7 or so years?

-Mark Holden