Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:42:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        Dave Glowacki <dglo@ssec.wisc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports INDEX

Dave Glowacki writes:
> > We need to have a standard way of installing this kind of software.
> > Better yet, it should work for any of our Java runtimes (JDK, kaffe, ...?)
> >
> > For example, we could specify that:
> >
> >   - All JAR files go into /usr/local/share/java/jars (replace
> >     /usr/local with your favorite ${PREFIX} of course).
>
> The preferred location seems to be ${PREFIX}/share/java/classes.
> That's what I'd seen in other ports and what I copied for
> databases/mysql-jdbc-mm
>
> I think that's still appropriate, since the JVM finds out about
> it via your CLASSPATH variable.

OK, so ${PREFIX}/share/java/classes seems to be the consensus.
And I guess Nate's right that shared libraries belong in
${PREFIX}/lib with the rest of 'em. This also avoids having
to do any LD_LIBRARY_PATH hacks.

Note that each such port would require an mtree file containing
${PREFIX}share/java/classes. Should there be a special default
mtree file for java stuff?

> >   - Ports should install man pages as well
>
> I assume this was "ports of Java applications".  I think the
> standard for Java class documentation (as opposed to Java application
> documentation) is HTML generated by javadoc, which IMHO beats the pants
> off man pages.  I suppose it'd be possible to generate manpages via
> the latest javadoc, or via one of the free javadoc reimplementations.

What I meant was that if your port adds a script (like my example
for sablecc) then it should also add a simple corresponding man
page. The man page can be simple and consist largely of a pointer
to the 'real' JavaDoc (or whatever) documentation installed in
${PREFIX}/share/doc/foobar.

-Archie