Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 11:43:46 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        e.knight@ix.netcom.com (Edward F. Knight)
Cc:        partek@indecent.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-RELEASE

Edward F. Knight stands accused of saying:
> >They say it is comming out this month.  However,  It will take Walnut Creek
> Cdrom probably 3 to 4 weeks to get the CDs manufactured after the release is

I'll leave WC to comment on pressing time, but consider carefully the
number I quote below.

> issued.  Then If you are a subscriber you will be last in the queue to get
> the CDROM.  I have been told by the folks at Walnut Creek that when they get
> product if someone calls in that their CDROM will be shipped the same day
> and that subscribers to the product have to wait for one mass pressing of
> the cdrom which costs them approximately $0.67 and they sell for $39 regular
> and $25 for subscription.  Their attitude towards those of of us who have
> been supporting them through subscription is convoluted.

This is totally bogus.  I'm about as far away from WC as it's possible to be
and still have running water, and my subscription copy of 2.0.5 fell through
the slot in the door _12_days_ after the official release.

I don't call this convoluted, I call it bloody brilliant.

> While I'm on a roll,  I can't quite figure out where the dividing line
> between FreeBSD.org and Walnut Creek Cdrom is.  Many of the "officials" of
> FreeBSD.org are employyees of Walnut Creek Cdrom.

Two is "many"? (Assuming we count Justin as an "official"?)  WC have
supported FreeBSD in terms of publicity, resources &c., in return they
make money selling FreeBSD CDroms, they get an OS that lets them run
the most extreme FTP site on the net, and associated good karma.

That looks like a happy partnership to me.

> Since there will be those who take the opposing point of view just to take
> the opposing point of view, I welcome their comments.  These comments should
> make humorous bedtime reading which will ultimately help me fall asleep.

"You're all a bunch of jerks and I'm infinitely superior" ?? I don't think
that's what you mean, but it's what you said.

> Ted Knight

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[