Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:30:48 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Indicating patch levels

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 12:45:22PM -0400, James Housley wrote:
> I have come up with some code that adds the patch level ONLY upon
> request.
>
> .if defined(OARCORP)
> PATCHLEVEL=     2
> .if defined(PKG_NOCOMPRESS)
> PKG_SUFX?=      -${PATCHLEVEL}.tar
> .else
> PKG_SUFX?=      -${PATCHLEVEL}.tgz
> .endif
> .endif

Patchlevels are just indicated as a minor version bump.  I.e., if
previous version was 1.6.3, and you now have patchlevel 1.6.3-2, we
indicate that with "1.6.3.2".  Hence:

PORTVERSION=    1.6.3.2
[..]
DISTNAME=       1.6.3-2

The fact that Linux folks use hyphens to indicate patchlevels is broken
behavior, IMHO...

> I add this to my Makefiles.  Currently I am working on the newest
> versions of these ports.  Will this code cause it to be shot down?

Yes.  Please use the above behavior, which is perfectly fine..

--
Will Andrews <andrewsw@purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>
GCS/E/S @d- s+:+ a--- C++ UB++++$ P+ L- E--- W+ N-- !o ?K w---