Date:      Mon, 5 May 2008 23:01:43 +0200
From:      Tijl Coosemans <tijl@ulyssis.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, stevefranks@ieee.org
Subject:   Re: wine, amd64, and fc-7

On Monday 05 May 2008 19:42:52 Steve Franks wrote:
> Anyone try to get an rpm of wine working under linux compat?  Did
> you have to install fc-7 instead of fc-4?  Is fc7 ready for
> primetime? Someone said it had issues awhile back.
>
> Looks like all the 64-bit linux guys run wine, why don't we?  Of
> course, I'd prefer a native FreeBSD port over an rpm if I could
> get it...

I looked into this when doing some work on Wine about a year ago:

* Wine doesn't work under the Linux compat layer because of
  differences between Linux and FreeBSD mmap(2) and because the
  implementation of the set_thread_area syscall is too simplistic.

* Wine doesn't work on FreeBSD/amd64 because the kernel doesn't
  preserve the segment registers on context switches.

Also, Wine and all its dependencies (xorg libs etc.) should be
built as 32 bit. Ideally the ports system would provide the
infrastructure for that.

None of this is really difficult to fix but I didn't (and still
don't) have an amd64 system so I moved on to fix other problems.