Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:27:36 +0200
From:      Alin-Adrian Anton <aanton@spintech.ro>
To:        dgw@liwest.at
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I set the source address on a multi-homed host?

Daniela wrote:
> I have two NICs (one inside and one outside interface) with NAT activated. The
> problem is that every time I establish a connection with a machine on my LAN,
> it uses the address of the outside interface as the source of the packets,
> which creates problems with my firewall. How do I tell my machine to use the
> other address whenever I connect to a local machine?
>
> Daniela

Hi Daniela,

Can you please be more specific? You mean this happens when you are
connecting from inside intranet to some other point inside intranet?

I don't understand your topology. Intranet should have the same class
network, C-class for instance /24, and the gateway should not see the
packages from between 2 hosts in the same LAN. The switch/hub would see
them only.

Can you please be more explicit of what's your setup, gateway rules,
firewall, and what you are trying to do?

PS: if you are connecting from outside to inside, through the gateway
which does nat, this sounds like bad firewall/nat rules.

Yours,
--
Alin-Adrian Anton
GPG keyID 0x183087BA (B129 E8F4 7B34 15A9 0785  2F7C 5823 ABA0 1830 87BA)

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." - Voltaire