Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 06:57:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
To:        Mike Kerr <mkerr@kerris.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mitsumi CD problem during probe

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Mike Kerr wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I have been successful at installing freebsd on my system using a Mitsumi
> 8x CDROM.  My problem now is that I can't get it to mount properly.  For
> some reason it doesn't show up in the probe.
>
> It's an IDE drive, connected to the second IDE port on my motherbaord.
> Alternately, I've connected it as the slave on the first port.  Neither
> configurations work.  This is perplexing given that it was able to probe
> it fine during the installation process.  I'm pretty much at a loss as to
> what to do about this.  Does anybody have any suggestions as to a
> solution, or has anybody come across this before?
>
> Mike.
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Mike Kerr                | http://www.net/~mkerr
> Kerr Information Systems | http://www.kerris.com/
> mkerr@kerris.com         | Web Guy, etc.

I had all sorts of similar troubles with 2.1.5, and eventually found that
the following snippet from the kernel config file works well.
There is a long pause during the probe on the second controller
(about 30 seconds?)

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
# disk          wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
# disk          wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
device          wcd0    #IDE CD-ROM

I have now installed the 2.2-BETA, and the boot floppy finds the
CD-ROM correctly, and the default kernel also worked for me.