Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 23:27:43 -0800
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kerberos vs SSH

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 10:36:55AM -0800, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

> :
> :On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :	[ ... ]
> :>     are still vulnerable.  You can get into the account just fine without
> :>     exposing a password, but once in the account if you need to type a
> :>     password of any sort in to do something else, *that* password is
> :>     vulnerable to interception.
> :
> :especially sudo and su... - Jy@
>
>     We used sudo for a little while 3 years ago, but I decided that it was
>     too big a security risk and wiped it.  sudo is one of the stupidest
>     programs I've ever seen.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@backplane.com>

	I have to agree with Matt 200% on the sudo. While the software itself
	might be well done -- the idea of 'partial root' is not.

	At a large FreeBSD shop where I work I see sudo been abused by people
	who are not qualified to even have a Unix shell. To many sudo != root,
	where it is just that, root.

	If you trust someone with root -- let them su(1). Else don't even give
	them partial root access.

-- Yan