Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2018 17:44:17 +1000
From:      Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        Walter Parker <walterp@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pf best practices: in or out

On 25/6/18 5:30pm, Walter Parker wrote:
> The use case for pass out rules would be to block local processes on
> the box from making external connections to other servers.
> This is useful if you don't fully trust users or software running on
> your equipment. Also, this would useful to preemptively block ports
> that would be useful in DDOS attacks.

Ah, then I misunderstood what pass-in and pass-out meant. I thought
those words referred to the interface, so it would hit pass-in to the
interface even if coming from a local process.

In that case I'm better writing all my outbound rules as pass-out so as
to equally filter traffic from the internal network and local firewall
machine.

Ari