Date:      Tue, 08 Feb 2011 20:41:14 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.1 as a Virtualbox Guest OS

--------------enig320A80287BB8F9C1F0F82081

On 08/02/2011 15:33, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a FreeBSD VM in Virtualbox.  The host OS is Mac OS =
> 10.6.6.  I'm already running Windows 7 64 bit with no problems.  When
> you setup a new VM, you get a first time startup scenario that asks you=

> to point to a file (iso usually) that contains the setup program for th=
> OS. Then, when you boot the machine, setup begins.

Works for me on much the same kit.  As I recall, you need to play with
the CPU etc. settings a bit to find some combination that will boot.
Let's see...

   OS Type  FreeBSD (64 bit)
   As much RAM as you want
   One CPU
     Enable PAE/NX
   VT-x/AMD-V Enabled
   Nested Paging Enabled
     Enable IO APIC
     Hardware clock in UTC time
     Enable absolute pointing device

   IDE Controller --> CD/DVD
   SATA Controller --> HardDrive.vdi

Most of these aren't mandatory other than (I think) IO APIC, but I can't
remember for sure.

I went the whole hog and installed this VM with ZFS as the root
filesystem, which works well enough, but isn't really particularly
clever as the VM only has 1GB RAM.  It's great for testing the v28 ZFS
patches though.

> That's not working for me.  I've tried both the disc iso and the dvd is=
> without success.  I haven't tried it, but I assume that if I burned the=

> iso and popped it in a box that I would get the setup menu and be able
> to install the OS.

You can just save the .iso to your Mac's hard drive -- I created a
directory ~/Library/System-Images -- then use the VirtualBox media
manager to "mount" the .iso into your VM.  I'd use the DVD .iso simply
because it has more stuff in it.  Since you're not constrained by the
capacity of a physical drive, there's no reason to use anything smaller.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3