Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 01:47:22 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to Raise Security Level?

On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 04:22:50PM +0100, Konrad Heuer wrote:

> As far as I know FreeBSD supports the 4.4BSD concept of running
> the system in a definite security level to protect special files
> against modification etc.
>
> `sysctl -a' shows that the system by default runs in level `-1'
> which means `always insecure'.
>
> So how should I increase the security level for example to `1'
> (= secure) in multi-user mode and to `0' in single-user mode?
>
> Can it simply be done with `sysctl' or will this raise some
> difficulties in standard multi-user mode (apart from the fact that the
> kernel might only be replaced and the system log might only be truncated
> in single-user mode)?

Just do a sysctl -w 'kern.securelevel=0' in rc.local, and it should be fine.

The secure level will automatically be raised.  It will *not* be
lowered on a switch back to single-user mode; you have to reboot to
lower it.  This is because there have been several problems with the
approach of letting init lower the securelevel.

Eivind.