Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 2003 07:25:42 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Richard Coleman <richardcoleman@mindspring.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need example file for nsswitch.conf in /usr/share/examples

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 04:41:11PM -0500, Richard Coleman wrote:
> There really needs to be an example file for nsswitch.conf in
> /usr/share/example.  For people new to FreeBSD 5.X, there is no outward
> sign that nsswitch is supported other than the nsswitch.conf(5) man page.

I won't be adding one for reasons already discussed on the list list
back in August (I think you started that thread, too, Richard)--- in
short I do not think it is needed and could even be harmful (if people
copy it to /etc/nsswitch.conf).

But, if someone has a set of *good* example configurations and they
are installed in share/examples/etc/nsswitch.conf.${description},
I certainly would not object. (e.g. nsswitch.conf.hesiod,
nsswitch.conf.ldap, and so on)

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   NTT/Verio SME      FreeBSD UNIX       Heimdal
nectar@celabo.org jvidrine@verio.net nectar@freebsd.org nectar@kth.se