Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 1995 18:42:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      markem@primenet.com (Mark Monninger)
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IDE HD > 1Gb

At 12:25 PM 11/8/95 -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

>this simply tells us that you are using (somewhere (maybe without knowing it))
>a BIOS enhancer that allows the bios to get past 1024 cylinders..
>
>unfortunatly, FreeBSD doesn't know how to use this,

I'm sure this is the case. The drive (a Maxtor) handles LBA and looks like
it has fewer than 1024 cyl instead of the 2448 it actually has...instead of
2448 cyl and 16 heads, it is remapped to appear to have 612 cyl and 64
heads. Since FreeBSD uses the geometry from the disk (2448x16x63) instead of
from the BIOS table (612x64x63), it gets confused. However, I still don't
understand why the install floppies won't boot (I can boot DOS or Win95 or
OS/2 floppies), nor do I understand why I can't boot FreeBSD from a second,
non-remapped drive (it was installed there before I got the 1.2G drive/EIDE
controller and worked just fine). The controller is a DTC 2278E, which
replaced a DTC 2278VL. Very frustrating and disappointing. As these drives
become more common I'm sure there will be pressure to make FreeBSD handle
them. I believe Linux already does. If I had time, I'd try the hack
myself...if I had a system to do it on. Oh well...I probably shoulda spent
the money on a SCSI drive and controller.

Mark