Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2001 11:33:46 -0000
From:      "Kam Salisbury" <netalchemist@hotmail.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum volume restore help?

Sorry, here is the relevant information as per your site;

What problems are you having? *Cannot mount vinum volume "mirror".

Which version of FreeBSD are you running? *Free BSD 4.2 stable, cvsup'ed
weekly.

Have you made any changes to the system sources, including Vinum? *"make
buildworld..." completed weekly.

Supply the output of the vinum list command. I can send this later this
evening, I am not at the box right now. *I do remember it showing 0 volumes,
plexes, disks.

If you can't start Vinum, supply the on-disk configuration, as described
below. If you can't start Vinum, then (and only then) send a copy of the
configuration file. Vinum starts. *I have even attempted "vinum create -f
/etc/vinum.conf" specifying the configurationfile from my backup.

Supply an extract of the Vinum history file. Unless you have explicitly
renamed it, it will be /var/log/vinum_history. This file can get very big;
please limit it to the time around when you have the problems. Each line
contains a timestamp at the beginning, so you will have no difficulty in
establishing which data is of relevance. *I shall if you need later this
evening... I really did not want to hesitate to reply.

Supply an extract of the file /var/log/messages. Restrict the extract to the
same time frame as the history file. Again, each line contains a timestamp
at the beginning, so you will have no difficulty in establishing which data
is of relevance. *I can see now that I should have copied most of my logs to
floppy before leaving the house today.

If you have a crash, please supply a backtrace from the dump analysis as
discussed below under Kernel Panics. Please don't delete the crash dump; it
may be needed for further analysis. *No crashes. Though, vinum list shows
the volume "mirror" with its two members in a crashed and faulty, state
being down.

Thanks for the speedy reply Mr. Lehey, I will append the logs snippits later
this evening.

Kam.