Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 1999 04:14:31 -0400
From:      "Eric A. Griff" <eric@cfpower.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Bill Fumerola" <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>, "Alex Zepeda" <garbanzo@hooked.net>, "Mike Hoskins" <mike@snafu.adept.org>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: advocacy site

----- Original Message -----
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To: Eric A. Griff <eric@cfpower.com>
Cc: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>; Bill Fumerola
<billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>; Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>; Mike Hoskins
<mike@snafu.adept.org>; <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 1999 3:36 AM

> >     Their enough $$ around to fund Coffee? =)
>
> You guys make even a big dent in this one and I'll buy you all the
> coffee beans you want. :)
>
> - Jordan

    Problem is, we need more than a dent.. We need a couple of Major
Players.. That may not be as hard as it sounds though.. They are all over
the place.. All we need to do to get a running start, is a couple willing to
run.. Ones with huge mailing lists, and lot of hits on there sites, that are
vocal. Or promote to their various Alliance Partners (becoming a big word
now).

    Writers watch these ones, cause they can get plenty of ideas to write
one..

    One thing, case in point, I noticed, are that platforms (middleware)
that have built a large developer public support base tend to be there
louder.. Seems a few of them lately have found this linux craze.
Unfortunatly I haven't had time to watch a lot of them (mostly Allaire),
though have watched them turn from a mediocre CD laying around the office,
and a mediocre site, into a fast becomming hot spot.

    Partially cause of a good web strategy, and partially cause of their
large public (free) forumns, and Libraries. I litterly hated CF ver 2.0..
3.1 I still hated it, but it was tollerable.. I complained about a number of
them to various people, and the forumns, and last fall, 4.0 fixed most (80%)
of them.. Many were functionality, and server configerability issues.

    Another strategy they have is partnering w/others.. There is a large
base tool for approaching them..

    Again, hate to keep kicking this one out, though they are the largest
Example Corporation doing Middleware now, that I have followed for some
time, and watched there trend points..

    I'm sure there are many more of these that could be worked on, and I'm
sure there are a number of people reading this msg that could give as much
detail about others... We need a lot of dynamic input stuff..  Making it
easy for people to upload this info, and make it easy (browser based) to
approve, and spit back out the results into the public..

    Hate to quote M$ (I think it's their's), but "At the speed of Business"
is a keyword.. If it's considerable work to do something simple, people just
won't do it.. That's what bill gates built with point and click..

    Executives move at the same speed... As do the sysadmin at the local
ISP, and the user at home buying there new Toilet Paper Dispensor on
store.yahoo.com..

    Hehe. I wanna video of Chucky saying "Everythings done, so now where do
you want to go today?".

Eric A. Griff <eric@setjmp.com>, http://www.setjmp.com
setjmp Software                   Your source for custom
181 Genesee Street            Software Solutions.
Suite 504
Utica, NY 13501
ICQ# 28146852
Office: (315) 734-1668 Extension 205