Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 22:11:14 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        -Vince- <vince@mercury.gaianet.net>
Cc:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, Mark Murray <mark@grumble.grondar.za>, hackers@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org, Chad Shackley <chad@mercury.gaianet.net>, jbhunt <jbhunt@mercury.gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: I need help on this one - please help me track this guy down!

>On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, -Vince- wrote:

>> > 	Yeah, you have a point but jbhunt was watching the user as he
>> > hacked root since he brought the file from his own machine.... so that
>> > wasn't something the admin was tricked into doing..

>> Then the important question is, how did he move the file so that it
>> retained the setuid bit?  We're already pretty sure that the program is
>> only /bin/sh with the setuid bit turned on.  So either he found a way to
>> move the file with the bit turned on, or he found a way to turn it on,
>> which reqires root access.

>	It was a remote login so he had to transfer it over somehow...

Well, *if* that's true, it still wouldn't be setuid root just from the
transfer.  He'd *still* have to get root some other way to make this
binary setuid root.

But if he's going to do that, why bother copying a binary over the
network -- it would just be easier to just snag a copy of your own
/bin/sh and mark it setuid root.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.