Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:56:33 +0900
From:      "Akinori -Aki- MUSHA" <knu@idaemons.org>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New variable suggestion: PKGNAMELANGPREFIX

Hi,

At 28 Aug 2000 15:44:35 -0700,
Satoshi Asami wrote:
> This is a generic problem, of a variable (PKGNAMEPREFIX) possibly
> being a concatenation of multiple elements.  A generic problem should
> be addressed by a generic solution.  Otherwise, we could run in to
> similar problems in the future (for instance, what if there is a port
> that require two non-lang-specific prefixes?)

I was aware of that.  My point was that lang-specific prefixes should
be considered as special, which was grounded on the fact that no port
had multiple lang-specific prefixes, and I thought that introducing
PKGNAMELANGPREFIX wouldn't hurt a generic solution for prefixes except
lang-specific ones.

However, on second thought I came to think that a port might have two
lang-specific prefixes at a time.  For example, a Russian-to-German
translator could be named de-ru-translator-1.0, or an editor capable
of Chinese, Japanese and Korean could be named zh-ja-ko-editor-1.0.

No?  If not, I would still consider lang-specific prefixes as special.

>  * The main reason is that the current implementation of PKGNAMEPREFIX
>  * forces each port to know/care if the port itself or any of its slave
>  * ports is lang-specific.
>
> This is not a problem.  A porter surely will know wheter a port has
> slave ports that needs its own PKGNAMEPREFIX.  (A master port has to
> be written in a certain way anyway. :)

Not actually.  See lang/ruby-man and japanese/ruby-man.  See the
recently posted chinese/mutt port.  One can easily create a slave port
without touching the master, by adding EXTRA_PATCHES or PATCHFILES and
overriding PKGDIR, FILESDIR, COMMENT, PLIST, or whatever needed.
That's one of the reasons I love ports: flexibility.

It's not desirable that a master port (or its maintainer) has to
bother with the slaves when there is a way to add slaves without
forcing the master to change.

> By the way, if a master port wants to know which language it is
> dealing with, the better way would be to pass an extra variable, not
> overloading PKGNAMEPREFIX.  That is what most master/slave ports do
> (RESOLUTION, PAPERSIZE, etc...).

Correct.  We should fix japanese/Wnn in that way.

--
                           /
                          /__  __

"We're only at home when we're on the run, on the wing, on the fly"